This slow cooked chicken curry was an experiment if I’m being honest! I usually make my curries on the hob but the recent Netmums masterclass on Slow Cooking and following Chrissie over at Mediocre Mum, I couldn’t help dusting off my slow cooker and giving it an outing.
With slow cooking I tend to do it at weekends or days that I’m in the house anyway as that gives me time to potter, brown the meat, etc. so I just let it bubble away in the background for the day. So I thought I’d try out my chicken curry recipe in the slow cooker and wow, the results were amazing.
Firstly I made my sauce and left that to bubble away for around 6 hrs on low, of course you could do this on high for 2-3hrs but I wasn’t in any hurry and wanted it to reduce nicely before popping in the chicken. After 6 hrs I popped in raw chopped chicken and cooked for a further 2 hrs on low. The results were amazing.
1 finely sliced onion
1 chicken stock cube
2 tsps of hot thai paste
1/3 can of coconut milk
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
3 breast of chicken cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
- saute onion in olive oil until softened then add thai paste until the flavours release
- add in coconut milk and chopped tomatoes and heat until simmering
- crumble in your chicken stock cube & stir well
- decant into your slow cooker, I cooked for 6 hrs on low
- after sauce has reduced in slow cooker add your chicken and cook on low for 2 hrs
- you can put in half a bottle of lager if you don’t fancy the coconut milk, it gives it a very different flavour
- If you are finding that coconut milk it too expensive, you can use creamed coconut mixed with a little hot water or do as I do and shake can well before opening, then add 1/3 and put the other 2/3 in 2 portions in the freezer for next time.
- You can use any curry paste you like for this or even make your own, but we got this green thai paste from Asda and it really is the best one we have ever tried.
Please comment with your curry tips or other things you like about slow cooking, and remember to go visit Mediocre Mum’s Slow Cooker Sunday for more inspiration for slow cooker recipes.