Chicken pie has become a staple in this house. I have to say I dont like shop bought ones but Grim loves pie, so I decided to have a go at making one myself. Inspired by other recipes, I have perfected my own. Here is what we do.
- spring onion you can use normal onion but this takes longer to cook, spring onions are really quick to use especially on weeknights
- Glug of olive oil
- Clove of garlic
- 1 large chicken breast
- Small pack of pancetta
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche
- Ready rolled if pastry
- Milk or beaten egg for brushing over the top
- Pop oven on at 180 degrees
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and add the spring onion and cook until it softens
- Slice chicken into small pieces (bite sized) and add to frying pan until golden brown
- Add flour then creme fraiche and mix, I add a wee bit of milk depending on how thick it gets, just until I get a little sauce then stir until it thickens
- Cook & crisp up the pancetta and add to mixture. Decant into a pie dish then cover with ready rolled puff pastry and brush with a little milk or beaten egg
- Cook in oven until the pastry has puffed up and gone golden brown. I usually cook it for 20 minutes, but I always go by eye and check the filling it hot before serving.
- You can add anything you like to the filling, we sometimes. Include frozen sweetcorn or fresh mushrooms too.
- You can also use filo pastry and low fat creme fraiche if you are looking to get rid of some calories.