We can’t escape the fact that we have become our own worst enemies when it comes to food. When I was small Mom made most things from scratch, now we are so busy, just how do people fit in the cooking to their regime. Here we are working with the Scottish Government on their Eat Better, Feel Better campaign.
You can’t escape the issue of the fact that some of our children are not eating well, I know myself, when I eat good things, my mood, energy and everything is so much better, so it’s important that we do this for our children too. Given the choice, mine will go for pizza or chicken nuggets, but it’s just as easy to make your own as it is to stick these in the oven.
We make a pizza using a really eay flatbread recipe then passata and cheese and their favourite topping on top. Mine aren’t particularly adventurous, but you can put out little bits of veg for them to add themselves. The flatbread recipe is for 2 small pizzas, but you can just double the recipe for more:
200g self raising flour (I sometimes use wholemeal, it depends what I have in)
200ml natural yoghurt
- Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined
- Grind in some black pepper (for taste)
- Tip out the ingredients onto a floured surface and divide in to two, then gently roll out until about 1/2cm thick
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium heat, then cook the bases in the pan – No need to add any oil or butter, it just crisps up itself
- Remove them from the pan and set on a plate, ready for the toppings
- Once you have added your toppings place in the over until the topping is cooked around 8 minutes at 200 degrees
Top tip – you can make these ahead of time and freeze them for up to a month and you can also use gluten free, lactose free or dairy free products to substitute.
Now the reason for me sharing this with you is, the Scottish Government have developed a Healthy Eating Campaign, called ‘Eat Better Feel Better’. On their website there is a quiz there that helps you make healthy choices, but there are also lots of top tips and recipes for you to try. We have tried their french bread pizza and the boys loved it!
Lettuce put your knowledge to the test… http://food-quiz.eatbetterfeelbetter.co.uk/